Whether you travel often for work, pleasure or both, it can be challenging to keep yourself fit and healthy while you’re away from home. With delicious room service and all-night movies at your fingertips it’s fairly easy to fall off the wellness wagon.
Factoring in plenty of sleep, good nutritious food and exercise is essential to keep your health in check and help you get the most out of your time away. But if you’re too tired to hit the gym after a long-haul flight or all-day conference, this 20-minute workout can be done in the comfort of your hotel room or down in the hotel gym, or if you’re at home – in the lounge room or backyard – no equipment required.
Perform each of these non-stop for 40 seconds, then rest for 20 seconds before moving on to the next exercise. Repeat each step until you have completed four rounds. That totals 28 minutes, giving you a couple of minutes for a stretch and a cool down.
1. Star jumps: Keep your feet shoulder width apart and hands by your side. Kick your legs out and raise your hands above your head, creating an x shape with your body and return.
2. Mountain climbers: Start in a plank position, with your shoulders directly above your hands. Bring one knee in towards your chest at a time and alternate.
3. Plank: This can be done on your toes or knees, whichever position you feel most comfortable in. Start in a push up position and focus on switching on your core and tensing your glutes while holding still for the full 40 seconds if you can.
4. Leg lowers: Laying on the floor with your legs straight up in the air and your lower back in contact with the floor, lower your legs down slowly as low as you can go without causing your back to lift and then raise your legs back up, feet pointing towards the ceiling.
5. Crunches: Lying on your back, making a cross with your hands on your chest, crunch up and back down in a slow controlled motion.
6. Squats. Start standing with your legs slightly wider than shoulder width apart with your toes pointed slightly outwards. Sit back and down like you’re sitting on an imaginary chair and keep your body tight, pushing through your heels to bring yourself back to the starting position.
7. Burpees: Ah, our old nemesis. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, push your hips back and bend your knees, lowering your body into a squat position. Place your hands on the floor directly in front of you just inside your feet, then kick back your feet softly, landing on the balls of your feet in a plank position. Then jump your feet forward so they land outside your hands, reach your arms above your head and jump into the air. When you land, immediately return into the squat position for your next rep.
Once you’re done and dusted you can treat yourself to some of the more relaxing amenities your hotel has to offer, such as the steam room, pool or sauna. Bliss!
Note: If you’re just starting out on your fitness journey (or returning to it), it’s worth chatting to a doctor first before you get started.